Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Heading to Wiesbaden

Yesterday, we drove thirteen hours from Vienna to Geneva. When we got to the club, Ondra said to me, "This is the part where I am glad I don't play in the band". When you stay up late, or all night as I did in Vienna, then get on the road at 5:30am, sleep here and there on the way, then arrive after an exceptionally long drive, it's really difficult to summon the energy necessary to put on a good show.

So for those who think that touring is all fun and games - drinking, partying, sightseeing, having fun with groupies, etc. - I hate to burst your bubble, but it isn't really like that. I don't drink much before we play because I have to be sober enough to perform. If there is time after the show, we may hang out and drink, but often there isn't time to do so. Sightseeing? I get asked about the pictures I take on the road...and well, if you want to see the people we are playing with and the insides of different clubs, you'll get plenty of that...but if you're looking for photos of all the tourist attractions, I just don't have them. A typical day consists of- 1) get up early, 2) drive for several or many hours, 3) arrive at the club for soundcheck, 4) hang around a bit and wait for the other bands to have soundcheck, 5) have dinner, 6) wait for the doors to open, and opening bands to play, 7) play the show, get really sweaty and gross, 8) talk to a few people after playing, 9) go to the hotel to sleep, 10) repeat 1-9.

It may sound like I dislike touring. I don't. I like it a lot actually. I wouldn't do it if I didn't. I just wanted to clarify though that it isn't all fun and games, because in talking to people that's the impression I get from them. I'm not complaining here by any means...just setting the record straight. The best parts of touring are meeting people, seeing old friends from previous tours, and playing a good show and seeing people enjoy themselves. Those things are very enjoyable, but don't make for very good stories.

Anyway, we are on our way to Wiesbaden, Germany right now. We left Geneva, Switzerland about an hour ago. The show there last night was kind of lackluster. We played the best we've played so far - which is amazing considering how tired we were after the thirteen hour drive - but it was poorly attended. Jimmy and JP have played shows there before, and said it was pretty much the same thing. I do have to say though, the people who came really seemed to enjoy the show a lot, and they got a good performance from us...which, at the end of the day are the only two things that really matter.

Ondra pointed out to me that I made an error in an earlier blog. We flew in to Frankfurt, not Munich. He picked us up there, and drove us to Munich. Sorry if I confused anyone...guess I was pretty tired.




I thought this was pretty funny- 'Wiener Zucker' sugar.




Warsawwasraw on stage in Vienna.




Nathan with some weird sperm drink.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment